RE: Chevette

To: "Craig Blome" <cblome@yahoo.com>, "Team. net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chevette
From: "Alex Quirk" <vquirk@penn.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 10:45:13 -0500
Craig,

You're Right! The Buick Aluminum 3.5L V8 that I learned to drive on in a '63
Olds F-85 Cutlass  weighed only 320 lbs 'dressed' and a number of 4
cylinders exceed that...but NOT the Chevette...It was a very nice crossflow
1600cc(and earlier 1400cc) OHC 'cast iron block and head' with an aluminum
cam carrier that weighed approx 280 lbs dressed...but NOT the gigantic nose
weight increase that some suggested...only about 40lbs max....AND with the
distributor front mounted as ALL Buick V8's have...it would be an ideal swap
for the 'T' chassis....as it would keep the distributor cap away from the
heater box / firewall tightness that plagues many  'T' car
conversions......I think because of the bored out block dimensions of the
4.0L  Rover V8 it may even be slightly lighter..and closer to the the 1600's
weight....

Before anyone belittles the Chevette platform for its antique  RWD
nature...They should read the section about the Chevette HSR in this
article!

http://www.holte-cons.demon.co.uk/pond.htm

     Alex Quirk
     St Marys  PA   vquirk@penn.com
     '81 Chevy Chevette  DSP
     '83 Pontiac 1000   DSP
     '89 Pontiac (YOU'VE got to be kidding!) Safari SW ESP
"enjoy what you drive and DRIVE IT WELL!!!"