Re: ECLIPSE REACTION

To: <BRUBEL51@aol.com>, "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ECLIPSE REACTION
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:40:46 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: BRUBEL51@aol.com <BRUBEL51@aol.com>

>As a GS competitor it has become clearly apparent that the Eclipse is not a
GS
>car, a look at the results from Meridian and Fort Myers states that this
car
>is at best a CS and at least a DS... The Eclipse/Talon AWD Turbo even at
its
>current undeveloped stage is far superior to the MX6, V6 Camaro, Probe and
>Type R including the Audi A6,  why the SEB has not addressed this car
during
>the time between the Nationals of 98 and the First Tour event must deal
with
>the contingency politics. Apparently membership has to suffer for sponsor..
>am going to write the SEB I would appreciate comments

That's funny -- before last year, no one considered the Eclipse/Talon a
serious GS car -- too heavy, AWD pushed too much, too much turbo lag, etc.
Then a few people went to the trouble to develop one or two examples, and
all of the sudden it's the overdog.  All this after only one year.

And while I may have missed something, I don't recall a whopping contingency
(or any, for that matter) from Mitsubishi for a car which is changing almost
everything but its name soon.

If you haven't read it, find a copy of the current North American Pylon and
read the interview with the Allens.  These folks and a few others spent a
ton of time and money playing with several different Eclipses and shoveling
in more seat time than I hope to get in the next couple of years.  This was
a serious, professional effort and not surprisingly, it paid off.  The fact
it involved an Eclipse was almost incidental.

Now that others have shown the way, Eclipses and their cousins can and will
be popular, competitive GS mounts, just as V-6 F-bodies and MX-6s have been.
But class-killers?  Come and show me!

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (the next GS sleeper)
Speed Demon Racing