Re: Prism GSI mentionad

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Prism GSI mentionad
From: Craig & Cynthia Naylor <magazine@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:58:18 -0800
Hopefully the person who started the tread received the answer he needed
re: 5000rpm problem, as
all of the posting I read were about which cars had the 4A-GE Engine.
To continue to beat a dead
horse, which started as another animal all together the following cars
have the 4A-GE engine.
Toyota 1st Gen. MR2's (119hp) I believe there is a "VE?" or "V?"
designation on this cars engine also after the 4A-GE.
Toyota Yrs ? Corolla FX-16 (119hp?)
Toyota '88-92 Corolla GTS (130hp)
Chevy Yrs ? Nova 16V Twin Cam (119Hp?)
Geo '90-92 Prism GSi (130Hp)

Which brings me to my questions as I have a '90 Prism GSi.  I'm having
several problems re: Oil
pressure during races (i.e.. needle drops to next to none), Oil
consumption (even prior to auto crossing @ about 120,000 miles, engine
was rebuilt twice under warranty) Oil leak through head gasket (Replaced
probably 6-7 times before I reached my 100,000 extended warranty limit)
which I have given up replacing. The last two problems are within
Chevy's "acceptable limits" of no more than 1 qt per 1,000 miles (I'm
basically at the limit but not over.  The two rebuilds that were done at
80,000 miles and 94,000 miles when I exceeded the consumption limits.  I
don't know what I am currently using but I do add Approx. a quart
between every oil change.  I love the car, but would like to fix these
problems before ruining the engine. Especially from additional abuse
from racing.

Some suggestions I have received from friends:
Change Dealers - I've had the car to 4 different Chevy dealers in San
Diego.
Go to Toyota- They won't touch the car due to Contract with Chevy on
building the car.
Change Oil Brand- I've used Vavoline 10W30 10W40 Currently 20W50 (w/
Carcraft premium filters).
Live with it- I don't want to anymore. P.S. Consumer Reports lists as A
Best buy.
Get A new Car- Can't afford it.

Please, any help would be appreciated. Especially if you have fixed the
problem with the same
Engine. Private response preferred so as not to send whole list on
tangent.  Also would like to
E-mail in general to any one who has Prism GSi, even without these
problems re: setup. Or to any one
with engine, any after market products available that would help in auto
crossing but still leave me in ES.

P.S. I have the 4 speed Auto Trans. (No digs needed, the 5 speed was
only 49 state legal.) On the Prism GSi.

Craig Naylor
Magazine@pacbell.net