Re: course design

To: <Gemery@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: course design
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:52:09 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Gemery@aol.com <Gemery@aol.com>

>RacerRay wrote:
>>     I just don't enjoy rinky dink little courses that go right this time
>thru
>>this gate and left the next time thru it and so on and so on...Too many
>>complicated features, too un-race-like.
>
>While I sympathize with your feelings, you should realize that many
>places in the country don't have space to design a course in any
>other fashion.

If you're just refering to multiple loops around the pavement, that's not
necessarily a problem.  I've designed courses in parking lots which seemed
smaller than my back yard without making them Mickey Mouse -- which is what
Ray (and I) have such heartburn about.  That often meant a couple of laps
(or even three) around to make a 60-second run, but without trying to be
fancy and go through half the corners and slaloms from a different direction
each time.  Maybe an inner and an outer loop, but both running the same
direction.  Or a "C" course, reusing *one* key event feature such as a
slalom or a long straight in reverse (although even that is painful).  The
important thing is that the course (if not necessarily the fast line) is
evident from the driver's seat.

>For us in Oregon, it's at least a 6 hour round-trip to  a site that allows
non-looping 60->second courses... would you choose to never run an event,
always travel 6 hours >round trip, or run what's local?

I faced this decision a couple of times over the last year or two -- about
half the time, I gutted it out and ran anyhow.  The other half, I went
home -- if I want to be frustrated behind the wheel, I can accomplish that
five other days each week, for free!  With funds a bit tight this year, that
decision will become easier to make.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing