Re: Newbie: SOLO I/SOLO II, RX-7 and CS, Tire life

To: autox@autox.team.net, ares-1@erols.com
Subject: Re: Newbie: SOLO I/SOLO II, RX-7 and CS, Tire life
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 21:32:23 -0600
Hello
I have autocrossed a 1 gen RX7 since 93 in c stock. A few people have raced 2
gen RX7s but none to any great success. The power to weight ratio is the same ,
but the 2 gen is 150 to 200 lbs heavier. The 2 gen has a better suspension and
steering, but apparently not enough to offset the weight difference. I think
the 2 gen has better rustproofing and therefore may eventually conquer due to
the 1 gens rusting out.I saw  an 85 gslse a while back that was for sale $1700
that you could see dayllight  completely through the other side of the car when
viewing the rear wheel wells. The car had rust holes that lined up in the same
place on opposite sides of the car. No I didnt buy it even though is was
relatively cheap.
If you really like the 2 gen , buy one  and bring it to nationals . I would
like another rx7 to compete with!
Bill Schmidt cs RX7 KC region

>>> Carl and Michelle Rhames <ares-1@erols.com> 02/27 10:22 AM >>>
    Hi group!  If I ask some info that is easily obtained elsewhere,
please point me in the right direction, and sorry about that!  On to the
questions.  What is the difference between SOLO I and II?  Am I correct
in guessing from the web site that I would be going to SOLO II?  So clue
less on this stuff.

    WRT the RX-7.  I am looking for a decent 2nd gen (89-91 probably)
RX-7 right now.  I was curious as to how it does in it's class, CS from
what I gathered.  I would love to hear from owners about reliability
issues (yes I said reliability in a racing list :-) ).  Love the car but
most of the ones I have looked at have been beaten/raped.  Any good
rotary mechs in the VA/D.C. area?  Thanks!

    Tire life... How many runs on street tires with a rating of say
180.  I am just looking for a general number here.  Trying to figure out
if I can afford to go to racing school in the near future (if I don't
get deployed).  How about the racing tires?

    Once again thank you all for your help.  I can't wait to get out
there.  I am off to look for the car... AGAIN.  I probably won't get one
for a couple of months at this rate.  i may have to have a go at it in
the ProtTgT.  My 2 year old would love it.  :-)

Carl Rhames

97 ProtTgT,  hopeful 2nd Gen REX