Re: Rabid Rulebook Lawyers

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rabid Rulebook Lawyers
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:48:20 -0500
While sometimes the discussion on Team.Net may give the impression that we're
all weenies, the truth of the matter (as I have observed it) is something else
entirely.

I have been protested exactly once. It was at a ProSolo event, and to be
brutally honest, it had absolutely nothing to do with me. My co-driver for the
event was in the points chase for the overall class championship, he was very
fast - much faster that day than the current points leader - and he was fast in
a car that previously had a reputation for being an absolute dog.

If I had shown up without that co-driver, and performed exactly the same as I
did that day, I doubt anyone would have given me a second glance.

Incidently, the items I was protested on were not trivial or weenie items. For
the items I was protested on to be out of spec, it would have required a
deliberate attempt (on my part) to cheat. While it was not an enjoyable
experience, I have to admit that it _did_ clear the air about the performance of
the car right away.

As for the CenDiv events, I've been to the Oscoda event twice now, and I have to
say that it's the friendliest "big event" that I've ever attended, and it's my
understanding that this is typical of all of the CenDiv events. It's a great
series, run by great people.

Don't be afraid of the weenies. It never hurts to be prepared of course, and the
car should be as legal as you can make it, but protests are very rare, and
(thankfully) weenie protests are even rarer.

DG