Re: Reclassifying 83-87 Prelude

To: <richj50@bit-net.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reclassifying 83-87 Prelude
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:49:30 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: richj50@bit-net.com <richj50@bit-net.com>

>What does everyone think about a reclassification of the 1.8L 83-87 Honda
>Prelude DX (about 100-105hp) from ES to HS?  It seems to me that the
>classes have evolved to the point where the old Prelude fits in much
>better with the Toyota Celica ST and the 86-89 Integra (similar weight
>cars with similar HP and torque) than it does with far lighter but
>comparably powered 1st gen. CRX Si's or Civic Si's or similarly weighted
>but more powerful 1.8L late-model Integras.

Since I competed in one for many years, I thought hard about this one.  I'd
think such a move would also have to include all 1st ('79-'82) and 2d
('83-'87) -generation Preludes, including the '86-'87 fuel-injected cars.
The 10 extra horsepower were offset by enough extra weight that there's
little difference in performance.  The SOHC 3d ('88-91) -generation cars
would have to be considered, too, although I think there's a stronger case
for keeping them in E Stock.

Jamie
ex -'84 Prelude
'92 Prelude Si