Had a great time at AMS yesterday !

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Had a great time at AMS yesterday !
From: Jack Hilton III <JackHilton@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:00:55 -0500

Well , after competing at my first AutoX event ,I must say that it was a
very fun time and I would have run all day if they would have let me .

If any of you were there , I was the only one in a truck , my 1998 Dodge
Dakota R/T . I was #07FS .

I enjoyed the course and the nice long parts , as did my truck and the 5.9L
V8 !
The parts that continually gave me fits were those 90 degree corners ! The
truck is so nose-heavy that it would kept wanting to plow into the corners
and hit things .
On my first run , at that first 90 degree turn , just before the second
slalom , I almost went off course , but I didn't hit any cones , so I
backed up and finished and had a 70.xxx lap .
My second run was a 65.xxx , but I took out three cones in the same corner .
I figured I was getting so excited in the long straights , that I needed to
shut the truck down much earlier than I had wanted to so that I could make
the turns .
On my third lap , I came close , but did not hit any cones and managed a
63.xxx .
On my fourth and final lap I got down to a 61.xxx (I think it was 61.5 or
61.6 or close to that) .
Another thing I realized was that with the back-end so light in the truck ,
I had to kick the tail out in some areas to get the truck pointed in the
right direction . The only problem with this is that I feel I lost a good
bit of time sliding thru some of the corners .

I worked the course first , and played second , which was not bad at all
except for the fact that it was colder than hell !
Has anyone else noticed that when it is hot at AMS there is absolutely *no*
wind , and when it is cold at AMS it is like a Typhoon ?

Anyway , I couldn't stay for the entire day to see the afternoon session as
I had about 3.5 hours of sleep the night before the race .

Does anyone have the posted results for the day either scanned or in an
Excel or Word format ?
I would be very interested to see how far off the pace I was overall and in
my class .

Again , thanks for a great time at AMS .

BTW - I think next race I will bring a few rolls of masking tape for those
that did not have adhesive numbers , it seemed a little scarce .

PEACE
W . Jack Hilton III

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave....

JackHilton@charter.net

770-253-8328

Want the fastest download speeds ?   If you want to learn more about the
future of the Internet , click on the link below .

http://www.charter.net