Re: Surge tanks and motor mounts, why not?

To: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Surge tanks and motor mounts, why not?
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:12:05 -0600
> Increased performance?  No.  Its only racing purpose is to prevent
>snapping the shaft of the turbocharger because of the violent pressures
>created by a WOT run and then a suddenly closed throttle, even at stock
>boost levels.

As the owner of a turbo car and one who has been disgusted by the
many anti-turbo rules, I have to disagree with you here.  The BOV (or
pop off valve), while protecting the compressor wheel and shaft bearings
from stall induced by rearward traveling shock waves, serves a VERY
noticable performance function.  Without the BOV, the turbo may come
to a complete stop, and this will increase spool up time.  With a BOV,
the turbo can continue to spin even with the throttle closed, and you
get boost very quickly when you open the throttle again.  Cars without
a BOV from the factory will see a marked change in performance from
the addition of one.

>Preventative work on a turbocharger is suddenly Modified class, not to
>mention the requirement to add restrictor plates.

I don't see the preventative work putting you in mod....what exactly are
you referring to?  The things that will punt you to mod are increasing
boost, changing out the wheel, or clipping the exhaust turbine...none
of which I consider preventative.

> Imagine this being competative:  A toyota celica with a 2.L motor
>(stock internals/head..etc) with a turbocharger on it competing in EM.
>Yeah...ok.

I can only assume you mean an All-Trac...if that's the case, in EM, you
can run all the boost you want.  I know for a fact that the 3S-GTE engine
running stock internals and head will handle 24psi from a T-04E compressor.
This puts your AWD Celica around 350HP.  If you run the stock CT-26
turbo, but bump it up to 17psi with a better intercooler, you're around
260HP.

I ran an MR2 Turbo in ASP last year, so I know your complaints.  They
aren't anything I haven't stated already, and they are the primary reason
I retired the Turbo and started prepping my 85 MR2 for CSP.  Most turbo
cars seem to be doing fine, but most of the Toyota turbo cars seem to be
underdogs.

David Hawkins
93 MR2 Turbo
85 MR2