Re: MR-2 Advice wanted

To: "A.J. Rystad" <ajrystad@2xtreme.net>
Subject: Re: MR-2 Advice wanted
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:52:25 -0800
A.J. Rystad wrote:

> At 09:56 PM 2/16/99 EST, Snapspinnr@aol.com wrote:
> >Hi everyone
> >
> >My wife and I just bought a 91 Toyota MR-2 Turbo. While we are still arguing
> >over which one of us it actually belongs to, one thing is for sure. I have to
> >get it set up for autocrossing. So I have 4 questions for now

First, head over to the MR-2 webpages for this:
Mine 8) http://www.sandiegocrusaders.com/cars.html
Nathan's Page http://web.mitsi.com/autocross/
http://www.autocross.com/
http://www.mr2.com/

More info than you could ever want. P.S. Welcome to MR2s.

> >1. What size tires are best, (I think I have heard 225/50/14's)
>
> 225/50-14 go-fast BFG g-Forces are the tire of choice of those who want to
> win.  Randy and Scotty will try and convince you that the K Tire is the one
> to beat.  I just have one thing to say to that, and that is you don't bring
> a knife to a gunfight (K-tire = Knife / g-Forces = Gun) They even start
> with the right letter. :-)

Scotty might, not me right now. I am convinced you need to run a 225
tire, and even though I think the Kumho's have a great grip, I don't
want to run with that much less width this year. Now, ask me what tires
I will run? Think "rocks". 8)

> How was that Ken?
>
> >2. What kind of adjustable shocks would you all recommend?
>
> Some will say Koni (that's what I run), others say Tokico.  It's whatever
> your preference is. Championships have been won on both.

I have run both in my 91 MR2. I like both. They each have advantages. I
don't think it matters too much.

> >3. Finally any suggestions on a front sway, preferably an adjustable one?
>
> Good luck finding an adjustable one.  Most Nationally competitive drivers
> (Andy McKee, Kevin Bailey, Randy Chase, Carter Thompson, I'd like to say
> me, but who's kidding who here) run custom front bars. The only 2
> aftermarket bars that are commonly available are the TRD hollow bar (22mm I
> think) and the 24mm ST bar, which is solid.  The TRD bar is not stiff
> enough and the ST bar is too stiff.  We've all found that somewhere in the
> middle is a happy medium.

Or somewhere in the 75% ST stiffness range. 8) And A.J., if I am in that
group (you forgot a guy on the east coast btw), then you are in the
group.

> >4. Is the MR-2 one of the cars that the friendly manufacturer has written the
> >shop manual in a way that allows the use of "crash bolts"?
>
> Kinda, the service manuals don't say, but there is a TSB that allows shops
> to use crash bolts to correct camber deficiencies due to crashes.  Here are
> the part #'s for the bolts to save you some hassle at the parts counter.
>
>         Big size        - #90105-15004  - 13.9mm
>         Middle          - #90105-15005  - 13.3mm
>         Small           - #90105-15006  - 12.8mm?
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of MR2 ownership and autocrossing.  Your
> screen name is rather appropriate. <g>

Yeah, I noticed that too. 8) Just get 4 of the 90105-15006 bolts. New
nuts is a good idea. Then remember you need to really torque them down.
You won't believe me, but later when your camber goes positive in mid
turn, you will remember that I said you REALLY need to torque them
puppies. Mine will probably never move again.

Now I just need to figure out why Andy's car turns in so much quicker
than mine.

Randy Chase (back from the snows of Utah...tanned and tired)
'91 MR2 C/S (who is not ready AT ALL for the season to start)