Re: MR-2 Advice wanted

To: Snapspinnr@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MR-2 Advice wanted
From: "A.J. Rystad" <ajrystad@2xtreme.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:44:51 -0700 (MST)
At 09:56 PM 2/16/99 EST, Snapspinnr@aol.com wrote:
>Hi everyone
>
>My wife and I just bought a 91 Toyota MR-2 Turbo. While we are still arguing
>over which one of us it actually belongs to, one thing is for sure. I have to
>get it set up for autocrossing. So I have 4 questions for now
>
>1. What size tires are best, (I think I have heard 225/50/14's)

225/50-14 go-fast BFG g-Forces are the tire of choice of those who want to
win.  Randy and Scotty will try and convince you that the K Tire is the one
to beat.  I just have one thing to say to that, and that is you don't bring
a knife to a gunfight (K-tire = Knife / g-Forces = Gun) They even start
with the right letter. :-)

How was that Ken?

>2. What kind of adjustable shocks would you all recommend?

Some will say Koni (that's what I run), others say Tokico.  It's whatever
your preference is. Championships have been won on both.

>3. Finally any suggestions on a front sway, preferably an adjustable one?

Good luck finding an adjustable one.  Most Nationally competitive drivers
(Andy McKee, Kevin Bailey, Randy Chase, Carter Thompson, I'd like to say
me, but who's kidding who here) run custom front bars. The only 2
aftermarket bars that are commonly available are the TRD hollow bar (22mm I
think) and the 24mm ST bar, which is solid.  The TRD bar is not stiff
enough and the ST bar is too stiff.  We've all found that somewhere in the
middle is a happy medium.

>4. Is the MR-2 one of the cars that the friendly manufacturer has written the
>shop manual in a way that allows the use of "crash bolts"?

Kinda, the service manuals don't say, but there is a TSB that allows shops
to use crash bolts to correct camber deficiencies due to crashes.  Here are
the part #'s for the bolts to save you some hassle at the parts counter.

        Big size        - #90105-15004  - 13.9mm
        Middle          - #90105-15005  - 13.3mm
        Small           - #90105-15006  - 12.8mm?

Welcome to the wonderful world of MR2 ownership and autocrossing.  Your
screen name is rather appropriate. <g>

A.J. Rystad
1992 MR2T AS