Re: Foam Formula Car Seats - Vendor?

To: Rm84fm@aol.com
Subject: Re: Foam Formula Car Seats - Vendor?
From: Dave Geis <davegeis@feist.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:14:24 -0600
> I'm looking for vendors that supplies a foam system to make a seat for a
> formula car.  Anyone have any leads?

Your local hardware store? Or an industrial chemical supply place to
make it a little cheaper by getting it in bigger quantities. I think we
used close to a pint of each of the 2 chemicals for the 2 or 3 tries it
took to get it the way we wanted.

We made a seat insert for my wife (5'2" vs my 6'2") using the expanding
foam used for weatherproofing around doors, etc. Put a large trash bag
in the spot where you're wanting to start from. Get in the car and have
a helper pour (or squirt) the foam into the bag, starting at the bottom,
until it's expanded up to the level you need. Stay in position until
it's become hard (1/2 hour?). And wear a coat: it gets pretty hot when
it's curing. I just tore off the trash bag did the final shaping with a
utility knife and a wood rasp. Makes a perfect form-fitting seat.

And in true form for Team Laughing Stock, covered the foam with duct
tape to make sure it stayed looking good and in one piece <g>.

--
Dave Geis - #25 FM  1982 Morton Formula Vee
Who needs a roof?...or doors...or lights...or fenders...