Wheel spacer ideas?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheel spacer ideas?
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 07:49:23 -0800 (PST)
I'm considering experimenting with 1/4" wheel spacers on my Miata,
since 225 R1's rub on the front sway bar at full lock.  I'm about
ready to borrow a shop and just machine a set myself, since the stuff
in stores is mostly too big and fits horribly.  I've heard the
arguments about whether or not you should preserve the Miata wheel's
hubcentricity, and I still don't like the idea of putting more bending
loads on the lugs.

So, I'm wondering how I could best make a set of flanged wheel spacers
to seat the wheel properly.  Is it better to machine the whole thing
out of one billet (blech) or can you press a sleeve into the center to
do the job?  Any MechE's out there care to comment?

TIA,
Craig Blome