Re: 6 vs. 12 point sockets

Subject: Re: 6 vs. 12 point sockets
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:51:47 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Jeff Blankenship wrote:
> I don't think you can find a real impact socket with anything but
> six points, even at Berland's.  :^)  Another sign that the 12-point isn't fit
> for impact - the 1/2" square drive end is deforming.  The Sears guy told
> me it wouldn't last, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to try it and see
> if I can save bucks and have convenience, too.  Real impact sockets are
> hardened, so they break before they deform.

Other stuff related to this.  Real impact sockets also have a thicker
sidewall for more strength.  This usually isn't a problem but on some
wheels the extra width isn't helpfull.  On my AR-24's, the 19mm deep
impact I've got rubs the sides of the lug hole on the wheel.  This is
annoying and can screw up your applied torque as well (since some torque
is going into the friction between the socket and the wheel, not the nut
and the stud).

I've never had a problem using regular hand sockets with impact tools.  In
addition to being quite a lot cheaper, regular hand sockets fit into
places better.  And sears doesn't care how a hand tool breaks or wears
out, they just give you another one.  _NOTE_ YMMV!!!!  If you snap a
regular socket with your impact gun and a piece goes flying up into your
eye, don't call me :-)

Mark

(btw, Sears/Craftsman, in their infinite wisdom, doesn't seem to have 1/2"
drive deep metric 6pt sockets, so I use impacts then.  I haven't been able
to find a 6pt deep 19mm regular socket yet, though I'm sure snap-on has
one for $20 or something.)