6 vs. 12 point sockets

To: marka@telerama.com
Subject: 6 vs. 12 point sockets
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 10:34:05 CST
Mark's answer was very good.  I would add that the 12-point sockets put the
contact on a very narrow line on the nut, so it shows an un-aesthetic wear
pattern on the nut.  After lots of cycles, this deformity becomes enough of
a problem that the nut rotates slightly in the socket and jams in there,
making it very difficult to remove the nut from the socket.  I've learned to
thread the nut back on the stud and rap/twist/pull until the socket comes
off the nut.  A very inelegant solution.  Why did I buy the 12-points?  I
thought they'd save time by fitting on the nut faster.  Now I would only
recommend them for moderate torque hand wrenching, which is what they're
made for - I don't think you can find a real impact socket with anything but
six points, even at Berland's.  :^)  Another sign that the 12-point isn't fit
for impact - the 1/2" square drive end is deforming.  The Sears guy told
me it wouldn't last, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to try it and see
if I can save bucks and have convenience, too.  Real impact sockets are
hardened, so they break before they deform.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                           Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                                ITDS - TRIS