Re: Had fun in CM!

To: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Subject: Re: Had fun in CM!
From: tyson@irobot.com
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:37:31 -0400
Mark Sirota wrote:
> Frankly, I'm amazed that anyone had any trouble at all -- I use my reverse
> all the time around the pits and paddock, nearly every single event.  At
> the Northeast Divisionals this year we even had to back into our grid
> spaces.  Do people actually get out and push instead of just driving?
> You've got a reverse, why not use it?

While I see the point of the rule and the check, in the absence of the
rule or absence of knowledge about the rule, if I had a car that was
missing reverse it might take me a while to consider putting it back in
(to operation).  The AM car I drove last year had a Hewland with no
reverse gears.  Yes, we got out and pushed it when we needed to back it
up into a grid or pit spot.  It really wasn't all that big a deal.

Now that I have a car with a working reverse, I do use it frequently
(and that is part of my motivation for putting the mirrors back on the
car).  But if it wasn't working and wasn't required I don't think I'd
put much effort into getting it working.

Cheers!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer                             iRobot Corporation
Senior Systems Engineer                    Military Systems Division