Tech Tip

To: "Alpine, Message" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tech Tip
From: Thomas C Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:56:01 -0600
Something I found on the web...

I just finished completely rebuilding my TR4's head. After cc'ing and
polishing the combustion chambers, the old exhaust valves looked pretty
shabby and would have been prone to carboning pretty quickly. By
chucking the valves in a drill press and holding a stone against the
face, followed by progressively finer emery cloth and wet-or-dry paper,
the valves shine just like new and will shrug off carbon (for awhile).
Also, I put a mirror on the drill press table so I could see the
underside of the valve. (Hint: be sure to get Family Management's
approval on your mirror selection.)