Re: Rear axle questions

To: Andy Walker <awtiger@cox.net>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear axle questions
From: "jarrid_gross@earthlink.net" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:41:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Andy,

The S1 to mid S2 axles have 17 splines.  All later axles have 25 splines up to
SV which uses totally different axles.
You can use coarse or fine axles, just so long as you swap out the spider gears
with splines to match.
This may have allready been done in your case.

Whatever axle you go with, I firmly recommend that you have your axles
magnafluxed if you are going to race with them.  Racing  puts a greater load on
the axle than even the most spirited driving, and the rootes axles are
notorious for breakage outside the rear bearing.

Jarrid Gross
SII 1725 EFI