Rear axle questions

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear axle questions
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:20:18 -0500
Hi, Alpiners:

This has probably been asked before so, please, bear with me.  I need to know
what the difference is between the rear axles in an early Alpine and the same
in a later Alpine.  I am building a spare rear end for my Series I vintage
racer and somewhere I read that there was an axle change at some point in the
Series II production run.  However, I have a spare "tube shock" rear end
housing with axles in it and they appear to be identical to the early axles
except for the fact that they have a cotter pin hole in the threaded end,
presumably to lock a castle nut into place (the early axles don't have this
feature).  Also, I checked the splines and they appear to be the same.  I also
test-fitted the later axles to the early rear-end gear set and they fit just
fine.

Is the only difference the cotter pin feature?

Thanks,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK

Check out the new British Cars Forum: