Re: May Driving event

To: alpines@autox.team.net, Carl McLelland
Subject: Re: May Driving event
From: Eric <ejmwdesign@covad.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:25:39 -0800
Actually most of the driving takes place on fairly "technical" roads so
all out speed isn't usually an issue except for the most outrageous
drivers.

There is a stretch called Old Woman Springs Road which is a LONG
straightaway across the desert and that is where the temptation to go
really fast is the biggest problem.   That's where if someone is going
to get a ticket usually gets one.

I've never had a problem and I drive pretty hard in my serII alpine.
Giving all but the fastest cars a run for their money on the twisty
mountain roads.

It's not a race and I really would love to see more people enjoying the
event.

I  hope to see you there.

Jarrid Gross and Sr. and Jr. Laifmans have no excuse you all live in
SoCal.

Eric
'62 serII
On Mar 6, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Carl McLelland wrote:

> Eric,
> Having been raised in that area, let me advise everyone that your
> route covers some of the best "sports car roads" in the world. Very
> fast, very scenic, pleasant, fun driving, and the route decribed takes
> you from urban LA to the top of some of the prettiest mountain roads
> in the country and even some of Southern California's prettiest desert
> areas.
>
> If I knew the local 'coppers' would 'look the other way' I would join
> you. However, even with my retirement badge prominently displayed in
> the windscreen, precious few of them would approve of my Lotus 61
> motoring on their roadways!!
>
> Anyone who could possibly make this event (call in sick, take
> vacation, whatever it takes) and doesn't, well, it's YOUR LOSS!!
>     Carl
> Subject: May Driving event
>
> Listen up everybody.
>
> I post this invite every year and while no one has come from this group
> in the past hope springs eternal that more than One Tiger that drives
> down from San Francisco and myself will make the Alpine and Tiger
> presence know.
>
> The SoCal TT May 2005
>
> What it is is a two day romp over some of Southern California's best
> backroads and byways as well as a great opportunity to see how well
>  last winters mods and repairs are shaking out as well as have some fun
>  with like-minded  car enthusiasts.
>
> It takes place over a Sunday Monday and we drive up the Angeles Crest
> Highway form LA.  We stop in Arrowhead for lunch and then continue on
> through Big bear and on to Jucca Valley where we spend the night in a
> cool old hotel with a hot tub and heated pool.  A warm meal a few beers
> and a good nights rest and we take of Monday am and head on down
> through Joshua Tree NM , through Idlewyld  and all over god creation in
>  The back roads of socal and return to LA for an awards banquet and
> dinner.
>
> It's the type of thing lifelong memories are made of and having done it
> three times for the car event and three times for the Motorcycle event
> I can safely say that even the two times I broke down outside of Borego
> Springs I still had the time of my life.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: