Re: handbrake adjustment

To: "Bill Mounce" <bmounce@rcn.com>,
Subject: Re: handbrake adjustment
From: "Chuck Nicodemus" <armorseal@spiretech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:52:36 -0800
Bill, In all the years that I have adjusted brakes, the first thing is to
follow a couple of simple steps.
First undo those tight hand brake lines a bit.
Then
1) With a tire loose from the ground. Tighten the brake adjuster on the back
side of the wheel as tight as possible.
2)Then, with a mallet smack the tire on the side to make a real noise. Some
may think this is not a motion, but just by  a chance that part of the
mechanisium may be hung up.
3)Then loosen that same adjuster to where the wheel will turn approximately
one round if spun by hand.
4)Then hit the tire again. See if you can turn it any easier. Then tighten
it again to not turning again.
5)Back off the adjuster once more. Spin by hand and you may get only 1-1.1/2
turns That is all you want no more rotation than that. A little scuffing
sound will not hurt.
All drums like this and you should not have any problems,,,,,, PROVIDED the
brakes are not worn too badly.
Now adjust your hand brake , pull should not be over 1/2 way and stiff. Most
times I have found that you may be able to reverse the car a little, but not
able to go forward. There are on some models a grease zerk in the hand brake
line. If so, not more than one pump from a grease gun into it.

Good luck in your venture. And remember brakes are more valuable than
acceleration.

Chuck