Re: 50 Year old Classic! - No Tiger Content

To: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>, <armorseal@spiretech.com>,
Subject: Re: 50 Year old Classic! - No Tiger Content
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:28:15 -0700
Guys,
I hate to pop 'all the bubbles', but Dean was driving his 550 Spyder to a race
at Salinas, CA. About 1/2 hour before his death he was stopped and cited for
speeding by CHP. When he reached the 'ill fated' intersection, a fellow named
Marvin Turnipseed, driving (I think but don't remember for certain) a 1949
Ford sedan made a left turn into the path of the Spyder, and the rest is
history. Dean's mechanic was riding in the Spyder with Dean and was ejected
from the car but survived. Years later he moved back to Germany, and in the
late 70's or early 80's was arrested and convicted of murdering his wife.

There is quite a history to this car even after Dean's death. MAybe some day
I'll write it..
    Carl
        HSR-West   #247  Lotus 61 formula Ford

btw.... Jan Berry had his infamous crash at, where else???? Deadman's Curve!!

  Jan Berry of "Jan & Dean" fame hit the truck in 1966...James Dean was going
  down a highway on his way to race, a guy in an oncoming car didn't see him
  and tried to turn left in front of him. (probably not see a small, silver,
  speeding car streaking through the desert)...

  Jimmy Dean got dumped recently as the Sausage King because he is too old.

  Paul