Re: Removing Tranny from bottom and tranny oil

To: <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removing Tranny from bottom and tranny oil
From: <carlynneracing@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:03:06 -0800
Jay,
I have to install my gearbox from the bottom due to the size of my oil pan.
It is so wide that the engine won't fit through the hole with the gearbox
attached. So what I did was.................

I took a couple 3/8" bolts about 3 inches long. All-thread rod works great
for this. Bolt the rod through the engine/transmission bolt holes on the
engine block. (Note: you now have a nut on each side of the block bolt hole,
so you won't be able to push the trans flush against the block when mated).
What this does for you is allow you to align the trans onto the engine. When
the trans input shaft enters the clutch disk just a little 'wiggling' on the
input shaft and it'll line right up and slide into the disk, up to the point
where the bellhousing is against the nuts mentioned above. Now carefully
remove the nut forward of the block bolt hole, then remove the nut between
the block and bell housing and pull the bolt out. Push the gearbox the rest
of the way on and bolt it up!

It's easier than reading the last paragraph, and makes the job a snap.
    Carl

HSR-West/CSRG    #247 series 1 Sunbeam Alpine
                                         Lotus 61 formula Ford