Removing Tranny from bottom and tranny oil

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Removing Tranny from bottom and tranny oil
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:04:37 -0800
I put my transmission back in last night.  I had taken it out the bottom,
leaving the engine in.  I've done it before this way.  Last time it was
not so hard to get that tranny to line up.  I'm thinking that this time it
was because I went from fine spline to coarse spline on the tranny first
motion shaft.  Was I suppose to change the clutch disc too?  Maybe that's
why I had so much trouble pushing it in.  Well, at least it's finally in.

I think if there is a next time I'm not leaving the engine in.  At the end
of the day, all I really saved was the lower radiator hose, the radiator
and the bonnet.  Then again, dealing with the bonnet and protecting it
from chipping is tough too.

What's the latest on tranny fluid?  When I got my OD tranny from John
Roseby, he said 20-50.  I'm figuring I'm going to stick with that advice.
But, I thought I'd just check to see if anyone now favors the sythetics
for the tranny.  I'm sold on Mobil 1 for the engine.

Jay
P.S.  Just in case anyone didn't realize it, I was joking about changing
the disc too.  I actually do believe that lining up the coarse splines is
more difficult than the fine splines.