Driving with overdrive

To: "List, Alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Driving with overdrive
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:54:47 -0400
Am looking for some advice. Have just put my freshly restored S IV on
the road, and after a few miles, engaged the new overdrive.
Perfect....just what the Alpine needed. However, on switching the
overdrive off, it occured so swiftly that the rear wheels chirped as
they slowed down. Next time I did it I touched the gas at the same time,
but the result was the same...instant disengagement and chirping rear tires.

My overdrive experience is with Healeys and Volvos, and with both those
cars the disengagement was smooth as silk. The Healey has the extra
contact box to hold the overdrive on until you press the gas pedal,
which helps keep it smooth.

My overdrive is a freshly rebuilt one. Is the experience I am having
common with new drives? Will this wear in as the internal clutch wears
in? Any comments regarding driving style/overdrive experience will be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John Slade
Manotick, ON