Transmission oil - overdrive

To: Carl R Berghult <berghult@juno.com>
Subject: Transmission oil - overdrive
From: Jeff <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 06:22:20 +0100
Bob / Tim,

the oil is shared between the gearbox and the OD and fills to the level
of the plug on the side of the gearbox casing - the handbook capacities
are 5.4 US pints, 4.5 English warm beer pints, or 2.5 litres.

Remember to ensure that the OD disengages when you move out of 3rd / 4th
gear plane.

Get ready to watch those revs drop!

regards

Jeff

The text from the drivers handbook is below, but I may have sent it to
you already:

OVERDRIVE SWITCH

The overdrive unit is controlled by a manually operated switch on the
steering column and by a switch on the gearbox top cover. The switch in
the gearbox is automatically operated when either 3rd or 4th gear is
selected so that the over-drive can be engaged only when the gear lever
is in either of those gears.

To engage or disengage the over-drive when the gear lever is in either
top or 3rd gear, move the manual switch in the appropriate direction.
the switch is of the self cancelling type, which means that, when the
overdrive or direct drive is selected, the switch will return to the off
position.

It is not necessary to move the clutch pedal when making these changes,
which should be carried out with the accelerator pedal depressed .

It is generally advisable to disengage overdrive switch before changing
from third to second gear, as this will ensure that the transmission is
not subjected to heavy loads due to by-passing direct third gear.

In the Unlikely event of the overdrive failing to disengage, reverse
gear must on no account be used. (otherwise it will break! - this should
be impossible but check your wiring just to be on the safe side)

In message <20020611.212933.-1721317.0.berghult@juno.com>, Carl R
Berghult <berghult@juno.com> writes

--
Jeff