Re: [Re: Alpine Steel Wheels]

To: Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov>, <TIGEROOTES@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Alpine Steel Wheels]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:48:38 -0500
You do not want a '69 Alpine GT wheel.  They have a serious design defect...
the lug not holes are actually raised and sit like little mountains off of the
brake drum.  If over-tightened (and all were over-tightened), the area is
deformed and the lug nut will rip through the wheel.  I experienced this on
all of the '69 GT's I've owned and on my '69 Arrow.  I replaced the wheels
with later Alpine roadster wheels.

Jan Eyerman

Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov> wrote:
Thank you all for the information.  Does anyone have a 69 Alpine GT wheel they
can measure?  These are listed as 5.5 x 13.
Tom

On 3/23/02, jumpinjan <jservaites@woh.rr.com> wrote:
TIGEROOTES@aol.com wrote:

> Jan,
>     Measure from the inside of the rims and you will find they are all 4.5"
> just like the Tigers.  Wire wheels were 4J-13 Dunlop's, which again were
4.5"
> wide.  Check SCCA homologation papers allowing the wheels to be +1" in
width
> to 5.5".
> Jim

Thanks Jim,
        Okay, if I measure the distance between the rim sides where the tire
bead mates to the rim, the early rims are 4" and, yes, the later rims
are 4.5". It has been awhile since I have measured those things.
Jan
--