Re: Toyota w58 5spd Transmission

To: chuck nicodemus <armorseal@spiretech.com>
Subject: Re: Toyota w58 5spd Transmission
From: Victor Hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:31:47 +1100
Hi Chuck

OK, to better answer your question, the connection between Toyota transmissions,
Sunbeams, Jaguars (and lots of other makes) is that lots of people like to
transplant the Toyo Tranny into their cars.  This is because the Celica and
Supra
5 speeds are readily available, cheap and strong - I am assured that they would
handle the 260+ BHP/ 320+ lb/ft torque of my Commodore easily.  Thus there are
engineering shops out there (in Oz as well as NZ) making up conversion kits such
as the Castlemaine Rod shop in Victoria

http://www.rodshop.com.au/gearboxes.htm

I guess Real Sunbeamers would never contemplate such heresy, but I have to say
that a tough all-synchro Toyota 5 speed is a tempting thought,  as an
alternative
to my S3s tranny with non-synchro-1st, which jumps out of 3rd, with fragile
overdrive that is hard to get parts for - particularly as I've been quoted $1500
EACH for a full rebuild.

Cheers

Vic