Re: Alpine transmission questions

To: "Alpine List" <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Alpine transmission questions
From: "Timothy R. Stiffy" <tstiffy@pulsenet.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:57:57 -0800
Hi Lloyd,
Welcome to the list. I also own a S1 Alpine. Let me give some background on
my transmission history. When I bought the car 5 years ago, it came with a
SV syncro-transmission installed. Although the car was originally fitted for
a overdrive with the relay and column switch, the transmission was installed
without it. Included with the car was a S1 transmission and bell housing
that I assumed came from another car since it also didn't have a OD unit
attached. I later found a OD unit in some boxes. The OD unit did not have a
solenoid switch but appeared in good shape. I was investigating having the
OD unit rebuilt and installing it but found that the S5 transmission was not
the type that will accept the unit readily unless I make changes to the
outlet shaft. I finally decided to purchase a rebuilt transmission and OD
unit from a guy in the UK. I just sold the OD unit this week.

With that said, here are my thoughts. After a four-hour drive to Dayton to
attend the Invasion, I decided that highway driving without the OD was like
driving an electric razor. At 60MPH, I was turning well over 4,000RPM. Since
you mentioned that you're going to use the car just around town, maybe the
need for the OD is not necessary. Only you can decide that.

There is very little electrical components to the overdrive unit. Most parts
are available and there are a few people on the list that rebuild them as a
service. You didn't mention where you are at, but the list can surely help
you find a source for parts and service if you need them.

Wait until you hear advise from others on the list and then decide. We're
here to help.

Tim Stiffy
S1 Alpine