Alpine transmission questions

To: Alpine list <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alpine transmission questions
From: Lloyd Elliott <lloydel@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:30:03 -0800
I am the new owner of a series one Alpine.  Thanks to Norm Miller I found
this list.

On my car the clutch is shot and the transmission is quite "growly" in
first gear.   It would seem to make sense to replace both at the same
time.  Does anyone know where I can get a later full-syncho transmission?

If I can't find one soon what are your opinions:  Should I change the
clutch and wait till I find a full-syncro later or should I give in and
install an earlier non-syncro transmission?  Are there other options?  I
plan to use it as an around town car.

My present gear box has the overdrive but it doesn't work (the mechanic
says it would need extensive rewiring).  Should I give up on the
overdrive?  One well known restorer has offered to trade me straight up a
reconditioned series 1/2 transmission for mine with the overdrive.  Does
that sound  reasonable?

Further info:  This Alpine has a later 1725 cc engine.  From the numbers it
seems it is from a 1969 Rapier GT.  It has only one (Weber)
carburetor.  How does this engine differ those in the later Alpines?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Lloyd