Re: Alpine royally trashed

To: Ian Spencer <ian@sunbeamalpine.org>
Subject: Re: Alpine royally trashed
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 20:22:36 -0800
Hey, all:
Actually the Tiger steering wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't lead to
broken fulcrum pins. I think I've researched the fix for my Tiger,
though.  MGB (gasp!) steering arms and an MG midget steering rack with
modified rack ends that will let me adjust the toe just like (surprise
surprise) an Alpine! :-) Too bad the factory didn't do it that way from
the get-go! New fulcrum pins, of course--pirated from a defunct Alpine
whose steering setup AVOIDED putting undue strain on it's fulcrum pins
in the first place? Or perhaps new pins to avoid the stigma of using
Alpine parts to keep my Tiger going.  Whoops, too late--the previous
owner replaced the crushed Tiger front end some twenty years ago
(caused, I'm told, by sliding under a semi in a rainstorm (too much
power, not enough brakes perhaps?)) with--you guessed it--an Alpine
front clip.

And speaking of the Classic and sports car story, I too wish they had
compared the 1.6 Datsun, as the 135 h.p. 2 liter overhead cam engine
gave a rather unfair 0-60 comparison.

Regards

David Sosna
66 Tiguar and former V-6 Alpine conversion owner (haven't forgot my
Rootes)