Re: Upgrading the Heater

To: Kevin McLemore <kmclemore@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading the Heater
From: Alex McGregor <awmcgregor@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 19:27:41 -0600
I wanted to reply to a lot of these heater posts.  I picked this one because
Kevin is the only person other than a friend who has owned a Sabra.

If you guys can stand one more post on a serious note.  Back in my youth I
winter drove an S1 Alpine up in Canuck-land where winter is winter.  My
observations:
1)    At any temp below -40 you needed 2 block heaters to have a chance at
starting.
2)    The only way to make the interior 'toasty warm' was a VW gas heater.  I
didn't have one but had friends who did, and some regretted it.
3)    The design of the VW heater has been copied by terrorists who use it to
blow themselves up.
4)    A 1940's Ford box heater fits about where the stock radio sits.  It will
produce a lot of heat although you can't aim it at the windsheild or your
feet.  Had one, worked best plumbed in parrellel to standard heater.
5)    Sealing drafts helps more than any of the above.
6)    The hardtop was no warmer than the soft.

In my old age (today at 52) my Alpine is in permanent 'restoration' and my
driver, a Minx convertable, decided to hibernate when the daily highs refused
to get above freezing.

Warmly

Al
61 Alpine