Re: Engine Stabilizer Option

To: Carl McLelland <carlynneracing@home.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Stabilizer Option
From: Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:39:26 -0800
Carl McLelland wrote:

> Interesting thread this is turning out to be......
>
> Eric, I assume you are using an electric fuel pump. Do you still have a
> problem with the float bowls under these conditions? Have you considered
> making solid motor mounts to replace the rubber ones?

Its not a matter of pressure or capacity, its that a standing waveof fuel forms
in the float bowl, which causes really odd behavior
of the fuel system in that the fuel level is not consistant and as such
the fuel control is not consistant.  Some types of carbs and float/bowl
configurations are more forgiving than others.

The factory clearly had problems with the WIPs, which is why they
made the recomendation for a restraint in the SII factory tuning
handbook.

> I've often thought about making solid mounts rather than 'X' bracing the
> engine as you have done, or bracing from block to firewall as was done back
> in the 60's. Is there THAT MUCH vibration in the Alpine engine???

The alpine engine is no worse than most inline 4 cyl engines, the flywheelis
rather heavy, which makes the engine rather smooth, make some
modifications like puting in a big cam, and lightening the flywheel, and
you start to see how things can get ugly.

I have run webers in my car for about 5 years, and I can tell you that
the carbs can and do hit the steering box on rapid engine decel.  Even if
fuel control isnt a problem, breaking a carburettor off the inlet manifold
can ruin your hole day.  The only fix here is the restraint.