Re: International Money Orders

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: International Money Orders
From: schristie@mail.usfli.com
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:32:06 -0400
I may have the best solution yet. I use a company in California called AFEX
(www.afex.com).  They will issue a check, drafted in the currency of your
choice, with no account and no draft fees.  And the beauty is I can call or
email them, tell them what I need, they respond with the dollar amount, I
write a personal check, fax a copy of the check to them, and they send out
my international check the same day!  If interested, ask for Christopher
Empett - he's been more than helpful.

Scott Christie

                    SloMoIV@aol.com

                    Sent by:                  To:     alpines@autox.team.net

                    owner-alpines@auto        cc:

                    x.team.net                Subject:     Re: International
Money Orders

                    08/07/01 12:13 PM

                    Please respond to

                    SloMoIV

In a message dated 8/7/01 12:26:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
wiencek@anl.gov
writes:

<< I thought I would share my experience with getting a money order in a
foreign currency.  It is quite easy.  Just go to your local post office
(USA)
and ask for an international money order.  The fee is $8.50 (much better
than
the $15 my bank was charging.) and they can be issued for up to $700.  The
post office will give you a receipt and you mail it to an address in
St.Louis.  They will mail the money order directly to the person in the
foreign country.  The catch is that is takes 4-6 weeks according the the
form!!  (We shall see if this is true.)

Another alternative might be, if available in your area, a Thomas Cook
Currency Exchange.  As of three years ago (before Tom became the first SAOC

member to act as a U.S. membership clearinghouse) they were also charging
about $8-9 for int'l money orders, with no wait.

Dick Sanders
Seattle