Re: Gas Tanks

To: CANISDOG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Gas Tanks
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:43:42 -0700
CANISDOG@aol.com wrote:

> If you really have bad rust inside the tanks, a chain or bucket of bolts
> sloshed around with some of POR-15 cleaner is a good idea before boiling or
> sealing.

Paul,
        I'm sorry to disagree, but the only way to clean the tanks is to have
them professionally cleaned. Ian, Doug Jennings and I all take our tanks
to the same dippers that we take our Alpine body shells for cleaning
(rust removal). It's pretty reasonable too. The radiator shop, that
repairs and seals our tanks, insists that the tanks are dipped before
they enter his shop. He uses an aircraft fuel tank sealing material
that's red in color and I wouldn't trust anything else! Paint the
exterior with PPG DP90LF (Black) epoxy primer and you are done.
Jan

--