Re: Hub removal; My 2p

To: JACranwell@cs.com, tstiffy@pulsenet.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hub removal; My 2p
From: MrZAG57@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 07:35:12 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/2001 2:52:27 AM, JACranwell@cs.com writes:

<< I finally found that the only solution was to romove the assembly,
complete
with the half-shaft, then press out the shaft in a hydraulic press.

It took 8 tonnes of hydraulic pressure for it to let go, but heating the hub
could help.

The reason for this is that due to the tapered end to the shaft, the
components get kind of welded together.

It is a messy job to do it this way, but yoy may have no choice.

You'll need to remove the retaining nuts from the brake assembly backplate,
after brake dissassembly. You'll need new gaskets for the backplate to axle
joint, and should probably also replace the chevron seals. >>

Julian is correct. I suffered an axle failure with one rear end and a pinion
failure on another last year with the race car. The only way I was able to
remove the hubs was with the hydraulic press.

CAUTION: It is probable that the stud ears of the hub will become distorted.
Make sure the shop checks this out after successfully removing the hubs. If
they become bent, the drum will not fit properly AND you may have problems
putting the wheels on.

ZAG