Re: [Re: Lucas, Sterling, etc.]

To: "jon" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>, "Bob Douglas" <b_s_d@ureach.com>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Lucas, Sterling, etc.]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 21 Feb 2001 21:10:45 EST
For once, I don't blame Lucas for the tragic Sterling failure-that one I agree
lies with Rover/Honda-with both sharing part of the blame.  Also, Japanese
quality is not easy to implement, it takes alot of work up and down the line.
And that includes all component suppliers.  You cannot build a Japanese car
without Japanese quality control, the entire design is dependent upon QC
throughout the company.

Historically the British car manufacturers have had a certain amount of
arrogance when it came to exports, a kind of "don't you know how things are
supposed to be done" attitude.  So the battery situation does not surprise me.

Regarding dealers..... British cars have always had a very poor dealer
network.  Often under-financed and always closer to a gas station then a
regular car dealer, the British car dealers were never the pick of the crop.
VW owes much of its success to making sure that its dealers were well financed
and the best in the area.  O'Kane had it right when he called his local MG
dealer "F&G Motors"-standing for Filth and Greed.  (if you haven't read "How
to Repair Your Foreign Car" by Dennis O'Kane-you should).  The outfit I worked
for in the early sixties was a good example- a "rebuilt" generator was one
pulled from a junkyard and spray painted black!

Jan

"jon" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com> wrote:
Now, don't forget that Honda was more than a little underhanded in their
dealings with Rover. For instance, the sale of all those 2.5 engine/trans
units that Honda KNEW were no darn good when they SOLD them! Each one was a
guaranteed comeback - that's why Honda wouldn't put them in their Acuras. By
the time Rover found out, there was nothing they could do but use them, and
bite the bullet on the warranty repairs.

Communication between the UK and US management wasn't great, either.  The
first two years Sterlings were sold in the US, they had constant battery
failures during the winter. The dealers were ordering new batteries to
replace under warranty, but the cars would invariably come in again. When
Sterling Cars USA asked Rover what was up with the batteries, their response
was "Oh, those are transport batteries. You should replace them with full
size batteries when the cars are prepped for delivery." Would have been nice
if they had said something about that when the cars first got here!

One more brilliant move by management - all the Sterling part numbers were
different from the Rover part numbers, and no Sterling numbers actually
appeared on the parts. So if you had a Sterling part in your hand, and
looked at the part number on it, it told you NOTHING. And Sterling wouldn't
let their "Master Cross Reference List" out, not even to the dealers. I
guess they were afraid of dealers ordering cheaper parts from Rover dealers
in the UK.

What would be nice is if the British car companies came back and studied
Saturn's dealer network and principles. Saturn's cars aren't interesting,
but their operation and attitude is pretty slick. Imagine an MG dealer in
downtown USA - there's a nice pot of tea and tray of biscuits on a table in
the showroom, some plush chairs at nice oak desks for the prospective buyers
to sit comfortably.  A regular drawing room kind of feeling. Salespeople who
aren't genetically related to sharks, that are ready to speak to you when
YOU want them to, about a reliable product with the flavor of the United
Kingdom.

I guess it kind of shows that I've never bought a NEW British car...........

Jon Arzt
Omaha,  NE    USA