Re: Polished Rocker fingers.

To: Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Polished Rocker fingers.
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 12:50:57 -0700
Jarrid:

As Jim, Lou, Greg and others have already mentioned, hardness after
machining indicates that the rockers probably have a deep case that will
withstand several resurfacings before going through the case. Even after
going though the case, they could still be re-hardened, using Kasenite
or other carburising compounds, or using a cyanide or nitriding process.

If the rockers are made of medium carbon steel, (and I think they are)
there is a good possibility that they have been flame-hardened or
induction-hardened by heating surfaces to austenitic (800-1000C.)
temperature quickly and then quickly being quenched in water or air
blast. Since this is a cheaper and more convenient manufacturing
process, I think this is likely and could more easily be done in the
home shop than other case-hardening processes.

Ron Tebo

P.S. I was talking to a local custom robotic mig-tig weldor recently and
he said that he would charge about $5000 U.S. to develop a
jig-positioner for the headers, and this would have to be paid up front.
(I showed him one as an example). I think a header manufacturer would be
cheaper but there are none in this area (everything is imported from the
U.S. or Eastern Canada).