Re: Polished Rocker fingers.

To: "Jarrid Gross" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Polished Rocker fingers.
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:41:03 +1300
Hi Jarrid, good to hear from you again

My understanduing is that the main purpose for lightening rockers was to
reduce valve train inertia, thus increasing the rev that valve bounce will
occur, and thus meaning lighter springs can be used. So the total valve
train stress gets reduced.

As far as hardening the tips again after refacing, I don't think it is
required. I had a machine shop reface mine and they did a real mess as the
radius is all wrong (i.e. no radius), and the rocker is hitting partly
against the side of the valve stem. I have only just noticed, but my valve
guides have already been shagged as a result. I am just about to reface
another set myself. Anyway, the ones that were done by the machine shop have
not noticeably worn after about 1000 miles (200 race), and all they did was
attack them with a grinder. Maybe the action against the stem self hardens
them.

Greg