Re: Series 5 Owners

To: kasl100@navix.net
Subject: Re: Series 5 Owners
From: Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu (Christopher Albers)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:03:23 -0700
kasl100@navix.net writes:
>For those of you who own S5 Alpines, we are getting into the resto of my
>son's car. One area that we do not recognize is in front of the driver
>in the engine compartment. Mounted near the top fender are two items,
>one shaped like a flasher unit, the other like a relay. What are they?
>The relay looks like it takes five wires and the tube unit looks like it
>holds three wires. I do not see anything in the schematic, but I am not
>good at reading these either. Any help or direction on what these are
>and the correct way to connect them is of course appreciated. Thanks
>Brent

The item that looks like a flasher relay is called the Warning Light
Simulator, it is part of your warning light in the dash (next to
ignition).  The relay is part of your charging system & functions in
conjunction with the 4TR voltage regulator.  I'm not certain what it's
exact function is, but I think it has something to do with kicking in
charge voltage when the batt is low.  You can eliminate the relay, the
warning light simulator & the 4TR by installing a GM alternator, which
I highly recommend.  If your son has any interest at all in a good
stereo, the 40amp Lucas alternator will be woefully inadequate.  Of
course, if you're looking for a show car....  My single wire GM
alternator puts out 110amps and I've yet to have an electrical problem.
 It powers my 450watt stereo quite well, and my headlights are bright
to boot.

The GM alternator is a standard single wire version.  There are 2
types, a large and a small one.  The small one is the only one that
will fit.  You can get a casing that will place the adjustment bolt ear
in the proper place (@ about 11 o'clock, if the mount ear is at 6
o'clock).  Mine cost me $110, new without a core.  You will need to
fabricate a mount from steel bar stock and a standard Chevy alternator
bracket available at any auto parts store.  THe mod is well worth the
effort.

CNA