Re: Subject: steering cross tube

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Subject: steering cross tube
From: js <frodo4@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 21:39:24 -0700
It is the caster that causes them to straighten when going forward (and
not to when reversing!!).
The point of contact of the wheel to the road is behind the "pivot
point" (my term) of the wheel. Just like the wheels on a good Ralphs
(are they sometimes called casters?) cart will tend to center because
they are pivoted at the front.
The Alpine has a couple of caster wedges between the crossmember and the
frame. This causes the bottom of the wheel "pivot" to be slightly in
front of the top.

John