Re: [6pack] Clutch Set Recommendations

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Clutch Set Recommendations
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 06:22:20 -0600
On 6/17/21 5:53 PM, Tom Walling wrote:
> The Roadster Factory has a complete kit for clutch replacements. It's
> not cheap, but who wants to keep doing a clutch job every 5,000 miles?
> It is called the "Magic Clutch Kit: and is part number RFK 1109. This
> is probably the best solution for clutch replacement on the market.
> Good luck!

I've got to tell this tale.  So I get laid off from the U of U, am doing
some part time work for my buddy Mike.  He has an automotive repair
shop. works on all sort of stuff.  He's an MG guy, I am his go to
Triumph guy.

Customer comes in with a TR6, needs a clutch.  I talk the owner into the
Roadster Factory Magic Clutch kit.  I've done a few before, they work
great.  Parts come in, go to work.  Back then I could drive drive a TR
into the shop, and 2 hours later have the gearbox on the workbench.  I
do the clutch job, button it up, get it back on the ground.  Fire it up
and there is an incredible screeching sound, metal on metal nerve
numbing noise.

Obviously something was wrong.  Back on the lift, tear it apart. Turns
out it was a problem with the TRF clutch kit.  But it wasn't their
fault.  After a few emails and phone calls back and forth the root of
the problem was clear.  The pressure plate was wrong. It was supposed to
have flat fingers on the diaphragm spring, the one in the box had curved
tips.  The company that supplied the pressure plate had put the wrong
part in the box.

Even though TRF was not really responsible for the wrong part, they went
out of their way to correct the problem at no further cost to us, as
quickly as they could. Overnight shipping of the right part.  Pretty
impressive customer service!

Back together with the right parts, one happy customer with one properly
working clutch.

mjb.