Re: [6pack] SU needle for TR6 Conversion?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] SU needle for TR6 Conversion?
From: Bob <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 20:43:26 -0400
On Wednesday, May 04, 2011 03:12:41 pm Tomislav Marincic wrote:
> I'm thinking of switching to SU carbs on my TR6. Moss sells the conversion
> kit with the BAG needle, presumably for the stock TR6 engine.
>
> Has anyone played with the needles already and found a better one to start
> with for a TR6 with the usual mods? (9.5:1 CR, GP-2 cam, header/exhaust,
> flowed head, 1.65:1 RR)
>
> As a reference, I've tried 4 needles in the ZS carbs:
>
> B1E (jag) :pulled like crazy above 3k, totally undriveable around town
> (rich). Would not idle. B1AQ (stag) better around town, still too rich.
> Lumpy, high idle.
> B1AF (TR6) Nice consistent idle, too lean above 3k, pings from 2200-3000 at
> more than 1/2 throttle, no power above 4k
>
> I'm currently running B2Y (TR250) needles that I converted to
> adjustable-type by using the needle housings from my B1AF's. The idle is
> good, the plugs are whitish-tan, but the car still pings 2200-3000 RPM
> unless I retard the timing, and the power above 4k is not what it should
> be for a modded engine. I know the engine is capable if much more.
>
> I'm betting that SU's with adjustable jets would give me a greater range of
> adjustment and a wider selection of available needles. I'd also like to
> eliminate the variable of the temperature compensators on the ZS.
>
> I'm sure some of you have been down this path? Any tips?
>
> Cheers, Tom
>
> www.triumphowners.com/735
Tom

I would give Jeff at paltech a call. He is the expert on carbs for the SU, ZS
variety. I am sure he would have the answers you are looking for.
Just give Paltech a google search and you will get his website.

Bob

6pack@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive