Re: [6pack] Motor oil

To: Robert McBride <rmcbride@mi.rr.com>, TR-6 list
Subject: Re: [6pack] Motor oil
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:46:09 -0600
Robert:

This is very timely for me.  I just drained the oil in my "other car", a
classic Mini, and am puzzled about what oil to use.  I recalled that in a
previous discussion on the old car oil problem, someone had stated that they
used Mobil oil.  This Porsche centric article clearly states that Mobil has
changed it's oil formulation.  And worse, states that it is industry wide.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
"Porsche's recommendation in hand, our initial analysis from 2005 and 2006
and from virgin oil analyses going back to the 1990s, we found that then
recent SH/SJ/SL formulations of Mobil lubricants tested, including Mobil 1,
have had similar 0.12-0.14%or higher Zn and P content. Newer SM formulations
of Mobil 1 have less Zn and P, most limited to 0.10% or less to meet ACEA or
API requirements. This confirms the industry wide trend of the reduction of
Zn and P from motor oils, with the eventual reduction to 0.06-0.08% or even
worse, the elimination of these additives, which are essential to an
aircooled Porsche engine's longevity."

Ed Bratt

Regina, Saskatchewan

1976 TR6