Re: [6pack] Hemmings email - non LBC

To: "Joseph Grant" <grant@bowtie6.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Hemmings email - non LBC
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:03:13 -0800
        Joe:

        The octane numbers on European gas are obtained differently than
US
numbers, and will always be higher.
        Europe uses RON (Research Octane Number) and the US uses the
average of
RON and MON (Motor Octane Number). The MON value is always approximately
10
points lower than the RON value, because the fuel is burned using a much
higher inlet air temperature. The higher the inlet temperature on our
TR6s (or any internal combustion engine) the lower the effective octane
rating.
        If you look at a US pump next time you fill up, somewhere on the
pump will
be something like "R+M/2" which is simply saying that the octane is the
average
of RON and MON.
        In the case of European (RON) Octane numbers, subtract 5 to 6
points and
you will get the equivalent US rating. I think when you do that you will
see
that US fuel is as good as the European stuff.

        Cheers,

        Vance