[6pack] Mating OD tranny to motor. Was Clutch Replacement

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [6pack] Mating OD tranny to motor. Was Clutch Replacement
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:00:31 -0800
        Stan:

        Here is a trick that works for me. I have an OD tranny, and it
is indeed heavy enough and awkward enough that getting it to mate back
up to the motor is well nigh impossible for one person of limited
strength such as myself.
        I got some 4x1/4" bolts. I position the transmission as close to
the motor as I can, then I insert 2 bolts on opposite side of the bell
housing and thread on a nut. From there I can wiggle the tranny closer
and FINGER tighten the nuts until the tranny mates with the motor. The
bolts keep it aligned as I wiggle it closer, and keep it from falling
back.
        After 30 minutes of cussing I tried this approach and had it
mated to the motor in 3 minutes. Very slick. You may well not need it
for a non-OD tranny as they are only about 70 lbs, and much easier to
handle. With the OD, the tranny is just over 100lbs, and at the limit
for someone like me. If you have a friend to help, you probably would
not need to do this, but then again maybe you would.

        Your mileage may vary,

        Vance