Re: Chrome Windscreen Trim Strip Installation - DONE!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chrome Windscreen Trim Strip Installation - DONE!
From: ronald weber <rmweber_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:03:29 -0800 (PST)
Well, I just figured it out. It was a matter of sequence. I was trying to put
the trim strip into the rubber gasket before the window was put into the frame.
  Below are the steps I took. Since the window frame was off the body, it went
quite well once I figured out the sequence.
  1) Bead of 3M 08509 sealant into the glass channel of the rubber gasket
  2) Place rubber gasket onto window edge
  3) Since I didn't have any 1/8" diameter string, I used 0.095" weedeater line
as the installation aid. This was placed into the frame channel of rubber
gasket and crossed the ends at the bottom of the window.
  4) Place glass outside surface down on a soft surface and place frame over
the top of the glass. Make sure it is centered! Feed ends of line through
inside of window frame.
  5) Slowly pull both ends of the string and as they uncross, they will roll
the inner rubber flap over the frame. Once this is started, continue to do the
entire bottom edge. Push window downward to make sure it is fully seated on the
bottom edge.
  6) At this point, Grab one of the string ends and slowly roll the rubber over
the edge until you get to the center top.  Do the same with the other end until
you get to the middle top and the entire rubber is rolled over the frame edge.
  7) Using a small brush and some soapy water, wet the trim strip groove all
the way around the window. Starting at the 1/2 length point of the trim strip,
locate this in the center top of the window and start pressing it into the
groove. The corners may need a little persuasion using a screwdriver to open
the groove. The ends should cross at the center bottom of the windscreen. Cut
to length, add the trim clip and you're done.
  8) Last step is to use a razor blade to clean up any sealant that may have
extruded out. Follow up with some paint thinner to clean the remaining film of
sealant.
  Cheers!
  RonW