Center Cap Painting

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Center Cap Painting
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:57:41 -0500
Hi All-

I ran into something odd recently.  I was try to restore my black plastic
centercaps for my wheels.  I filled a few spots with JB Weld and then went
to spray on black plastic dye.

Well initially they looked great but then as they dried I could see all of
these straitions "string like" marking in the surface.  I tried stripping
the finish, but these marks went into the plastic. Even sanding did not
really get rid of them completely.  I noticed this again when I went to the
British Invasion this fall.  Some of the refinished center caps had this
effect.

a.) Does anybody know what is happening here?
b.) Does anyone have a technique for refinishing the center caps that does
not produce theis effect?

The only thing I can think of is that the centercaps appear to be hot
stamped out of plastic sheet instead of injection molded.  Maybe they are
under stress and the cracks appeared when the plastic surface stress
relieved possibly from the solvent in the dye?  Does this make sense?

John Cyg