Re: Restoring discolored tail light lenses

To: "Johnathan Coleman \[SRS\]" <jc@securityrisksolutions.com>,
Subject: Re: Restoring discolored tail light lenses
From: ronald weber <rmweber_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:23:56 -0800 (PST)
Jonathan,
  Removing the yellowing is difficult. I was able to polish mine to improve the
clarity using some cotton flannel polishing wheels on an inexpensive bench
grinder I picked up at Harbor Freight. I used some green (#6) and white (#5)
polishing compound I picked up at Lowes on two different flaps mounted on the
grinder. Polished with white first, then the green. You need to be very careful
not to stay in one place too long and to use a light touch since it will melt
the plastic if you dwell in one spot. I've since used the setup to polish
numerous chromed pieces, dash knobs (they're a phenolic and clean up
beautifully), and some misc aluminum parts that shine up like a mirror.

  I'm actually quite amazed how much I ended up using it so I would recommend
the investment on anyone starting a restoration.

  On a side note, it polishes watch crystals quite nicely as well!

  Hope this helps!
  Ron W.
  71TR6

Bored stiff? Loosen up...