TR6 Tranny vent hole

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Tranny vent hole
From: Tomislav Marincic <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:27:33 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hello fellow toilers,

If I understand correctly, a TR6 transmission must have one or more air vent
holes in the various aluminum castings. When the oil and air inside the tranny
heat up and expand, the air must have a way to escape, otherwise the tranny
blows oil past the seals. It also seems that early TR6 transmissions have a
hole in the tailshaft cover, and if the car is equipped with overdrive, the
hole is somewhere in the shift tower. Later transmissions may have both (?).

My newly rebuilt tranny is a "bitsa" (so is my whole car) and it has J-type OD
and a shift tower of unknown provenance. I am trying to reassure myself that it
has a vent hole, but am so far unable to locate it. Can anyone describe exactly
where this hole can be found, or perhaps direct me to a diagram? I have the
various shop manuals, but they seem to say only that it's located at the "back"
of the shift tower assembly.

Thanks again, Tom
CC55483L  "O"